Since store-bought granola is usually packed with sugar (remember, every 4 grams of sugar = one teaspoon, it adds up quick), I usually make my own. I usually have oats and a few types of nuts on hand and almost never follow this recipe exactly. But if you’re doing this for the first time it definitely helps to have a recipe and it is amazing if you have all these ingredients on hand. I like to make sure I have a fair amount of nuts to increase the protein level.
Prep-time: 10 mins Cook time: 20-30 mins
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F
Combine in a large bowl:
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup almond pieces (we like slivers of almond)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- add your choice of spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves etc
Combine and warm:
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup oil (grapeseed or coconut oil preferred)
Pour over the oat/nut mixture and mix thoroughly to coat.
Pour mixture onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 5-7 minutes and then stir around. Bake another 5-7 minutes and stir again. Repeat until desired doneness is reached. Let cool, then add: 1 cup dried cranberries, raisins, or other dried fruit.
Pump it up with superfoods!
- 2 tbsp maca powder (add to oat mixture before the liquids)
- ¼-½ cup hemp hearts (add after cooking)
Enjoy with homemade almond milk!